Monday, November 9, 2009

Realization

Reading Amy's post this morning only reminds me of how true it is about our weight loss journey's.  When we are losing, we are on top of the world and nothing could be better and when we are not losing, we beat ourselves up to no end.  Right now, I'm beating myself up.  This whole process has been incredibly hard and I just feel that I take 2 steps forward and 1 step back every single month.  What's even more frustrating....I have complete control over it (for the most part).  Being the huge control freak that I am you would think that I would have a little more control over this whole process.  Nope.  I tend to have about 2 good weeks within a month and then 2 weeks where I'm kind of so-so and in the process undo some of the decent weight loss that I had during my 2 good weeks.  Make sense? 

I know I'm rambling.  It's just so frustrating to not have found my sweet spot yet at 6 months post-op.  I go in for my 6th fill this coming Monday and dammit I'm freaking asking for 1 cc's.  I'm so sick of this conservative fill stuff.  For crying out loud, I'm only at 5.5 cc's in an 11 cc band and have complained to my doctor of little to no restriction for the last 3 months.  Refer to this post for even more frustration.

Anyways.  Amy's post helped me a bit as far as realizing that we are all different and that our weigh losses are going to vary among all of us.  However, it is also up to us to help determine somewhat how slow or fast that weight loss is going to be. Have I been the best bandster I can be and I'm following the guidelines to achieve successful weight loss?  Lately, no.  And, that is what I have to ask myself when I do get frustrated because so much of it lies in my hands.  If I choose not to follow, I'm not going to like the results.  Simple as that.

Now, I'm off to the gym and am going to start doing 2 a day's again since the last time period that I did that I saw an almost 10 pound weight loss result in 2 weeks :)

5 comments:

Amy W. said...

I totally know how you feel about 2 steps forward and one step back. I said the same thing to Tracey when I was eating like a little piggie. It gets kinda old this cycle of ours. I dont know what it's about. Do you think its still bc we are living in the "diet" mentality, or do you think it is just natural? I dunno...that's why I was hesitant to post about my good 2 weeks bc it seems like I am just asking for a stop...

It's funny when people take a look at their stats, we are all average and doing what the docs said to expect...1-2 pounds a week on average. I think though that we expect and want so much more bc we think about this damn weight ALL day long.

You are looking good and the band is working. I have a 10-11cc band, and this last fill brought me to 6ccs. I was at 5ccs when I ate all of Taco Bell, so this next fill could do something for you!

Alexis said...

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I needed to hear :) It's so true about how we think about it ALL DAY LONG and are so consumed by it. When I do sit down and think about it, it's amazing all the changes I've made in my life and not just in relation to eating. I look forward to my almost daily lunch time workouts during the work week where as before, the mere thought of going to a gym made me break out in a sweat!

Amy...I hope you know how much of a huge inspiration you are to me. You have made huge accomplishments, but yet you are honest about how hard it's been and about the setbacks you've incurred. I love that.

THE DASH! said...

I'm exactly the same too! Really truly. I feel like I have a good weight loss one week then the next nothing even though I'm doing the same thing. I eat well for a while, then have a mini-blow out and damn!! if it doesn't go on quicker than it comes off. It does my head in. I guess we just have to accept that it's always going to be an up and down motion and in between hopefully we creep down in increments. You are doing well .. believe it and just keep plodding :)

Gen said...

Alexis, I just got 6 ccs put in my 10 cc band and I am only 9 weeks out. Ask for more fill! I bet if you get a little more you will find your sweet spot soon. My doc said the usual sweet spot is around 6-8 ccs, so you are not far behind.

Plus, your 2.5 pound average per week is AWESOME! You need to congratulate yourself!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I think this process HAS to be frustrating or else it wouldn't so rewarding at the end! what is the accomplishment w/o the struggle and hard work it took to get there. Then we will have utter pride and satisfaction w/ what we've accomplished. I don't think 36 is a huge number, but I often remind myself how freakin' damn fabulous I am for losing 36 freakin pounds. That helps. haha!