Thursday, April 8, 2010

Woman, Food & God

I am not a strict religious person by any means.  I do have faith, but whether or not that faith is necessarily in a god, I'm still figuring that out and it may be a never ending quest.  However, I do have faith in life in general.  Faith in believing that my life would be okay no matter what got me through some of the toughest years of my life recently.  So, with that, I'll just briefly explain my post title.  I occasionally watch Oprah and I did happen to watch Monday's episode that featured a woman who had lost 175 pounds (without surgery of course since Oprah like NEVER has anyone with WLS on her show) and who ended up gaining it back and then lost 100 pounds of it again.  When she lost it the second time, her revelations where very interesting and they came from the help of a book called "Woman, Food and God" by Geneen Roth.   On Oprah's site there is an excerpt from the book that I just finished reading.  It really hit home for me in a lot of areas and I think would help some of us who have come to some self-revelations this week.  The excerpt really doesn't go into religion or god so much so please don't be scared by the title if religion doesn't happen to be a big part of your life.  Again, the excerpt was extremely enlightening for me and I am considering purchasing the book (maybe after I read, I'll do a sisterhood of the traveling book!).  There were parts in there that I've heard before, but Geneen has a way of really making you think differently about things and how our pasts, comparison of others, etc really affects us and the way we view ourselves not just with our weight, but in all aspects of life.  Anyways....I'll stop rambling and let those who want to read the excerpt (it's 4 pages so don't forget to scroll through) do so HERE.

Let me know what you guys think!  I really am considering purchasing the book and I think it would be interesting to do a Sisterhood with it and everyone could sign it before sending it along to the next person....what do you think?!

11 comments:

Amy said...

That is an AWESOME idea - the sisterhood book. LOVE IT! I read parts of this in the latest O magazine and was actually thinking of buying it, and I am NOT a book buyer. :)

Jen said...

I'm going to check this out.
Gen recommend a few of her books to me and I have them on order from my library. I saw that episode of Oprah too but I hadn't looked into it further.
Thanks for finding it for me.
(And thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful comment on my blog the other day. It meant so much.)

Gilly said...

Definitely some interesting little gems in there. Do I want this much self discovery...that is the question?

Nicole said...

LOVE that Idea!!

Mary said...

it sounds good!!! I bought this book called "Fat Chance" with Julie Hadden one of the girls from Biggest loser and its good so far!! it says in there that in order for you to be sucessful you have to be surrounded by positive and encouraging people and thats what I think about my blog buddies and thats why I think that Ive done so well!!! I wanna read the one you get if you do so!! Ill send you mine if you wanna read it as well.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing that - It was really interesting. I might look into getting it too.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I just finished Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth book and Bad Childhood to Good Life by Dr. Laura S. and they changed my life. A sisterhood book would be great - I'll share mine if you share yours! Keep us posted on how it reads out in full.

Jenny said...

I just bought the book today...haven't started it yet. I'm looking forward to it though, she writes a column in one of the magazines, I think it was redbook and I always found it food for thought. Let me know if you wind up getting it and we can compare notes!!

Amy W. said...

I think I would like to read it but I would like to hear your take on it, bc I am a little afraid that it will be too much on the religion side.

I have heard very good things about it though!

Geneen Roth said...

Dear Alexis,

Thank you and your readers so much for your kind words. Women Food and God explores how the way we eat is inseparable from our core beliefs about being alive. Our relaionship with food is an exact mirror of our feelings about love, fear, anger, meaning, transformation and, yes, even God. It will hopefully help ease the struggle. May you feel much peace today and all days moving forward.

Geneen Roth

Dinnerland said...

Wow-- how cool that you got a comment from the author!