I love to bake yummy dessert goodies, but have never been a huge fan of actually cooking food for meals. About a year ago, the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook was recommended to me for having really great recipes and having really amazing sections of the book on different techniques on why you should cook certain things one way, etc, etc. Anyways, I've made numerous recipes from this cookbook and have never once been disappointed. It's by no means a band/weigh loss surgery specific cookbook, but I'm telling you, even if you like to cook a little, you will love this book and you will learn some amazing tips and it's even started to turn me into "quite the little cook" (those were Jeff's words the other night when I made a chicken recipe out of here).
One thing that Jeff and I were talking about just a few days ago, was how yes, having surgery has changed so many aspects when it comes to how I think about and food choices I make now. But when it really comes down to it, over the last nine months I've still really enjoyed food and many of the same foods I ate before, just smaller portions. I love food, always have and most likely always will and I think it is all just about moderation and making smart adjustments where you can. Yes, there are some things that I just physcially have a hard time eating now (pasta & bread) and some things that I try to stay away from because I have no self control over once I start (sweets & chips), but for the most part I still do get to enjoy really good food. So, I guess my point is, it may seem weird that a weigh loss surgery patient is giving away a cookbook for one in general and two has nothing to do about weight loss eating at all. However, I love this book (and has provided plenty of band friendly recipes) and it's my giveaway and I can do what I want to :)
So. Here are the rules:
- You must be a CURRENT public follower of this blog (I know who all 75 of you are) :)
- You must be a U.S. Resident (sorry my overseas and Canadian friends)
- I love the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network, so you must leave a comment telling me what the best thing YOU ever ate was and where you can find it (the shows premise is typically what yummy thing they've eaten at a restaurant).
- You must submit your comment by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on Sunday March 7th (winner will be chosen using the Random Number Generator @ random.org on 3/8/2010)
- Please leave a way in your comment in which I can contact you if you've won.


12 comments:
How fun! It sounds like an amazing cookbook!
Without a doubt, the best thing I ever ate was dessert at Emeril's Delmonico steak house. They don't serve it anymore though! It was a chocolate cake with a cream frosting and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I could have literally laid down and died right then. End of story!
The whole meal was fantastic but that desert was the BE-ALL, END-All! chachastella @ Gmail dot com.
Thanks!
I guess I should put what the best thing I ever ate was too:
Hands down, the Grand Marnier Souffle with Creme Anglaise from Canlis in Seattle. Heaven. Told you I love my sweets. Desserts are what will get me everytime.
Love this Alexis and if I don't win, I'm just gonna buy that cookbook - sounds amazing! Best thing I have ever eaten: Fig risotto from the Union Square Cafe in NYC. RIDICULOUSLY YUMMY!
Oh I love America's Test Kitchen - do you watch it on PBS?
The best thing I ever ate was sopa azteca at Topolobampo in Chicago (everything at Topolo...).
I can't wait to read everyone's answers.
lindasbandwidth@gmail.com
what a fun giveaway! you know how to get to me - through facebook.
The best thing I've ever eaten is the cheese course at a restaurant called Hen of The Wood here in Vermont, in a town called Waterbury. Amazing cheeses, all of them VT local with nuts and fruit and delicious housemade crackers and red red wine... Mmm!
I think it might be the Fleur de Sel cupcake from Sweet Revenge in NY...moist chocolate cake, deep salted liquid caramel inside, and not too much caramel frosting with flakes of sea salt...OMG...want one right now!
This cookbook sounds interesting. I am going to see if the Library has it. Not that I will have too much time for cooking anymore... :)
The best dessert I have ever had was a creme brûlée with pistachio ice cream in Paris' 8th district. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Small, upscale, extremely delicious food and just extremely paris-ish!
Now I feel sad that Paris is way too far away. Should plan a trip soon, maybe as a reward or so ;-)
I already own the book, its a great addition to any kitchen regardless of WLS!
One of my favorite dishes that I used to eat before surgery was the Cajun Chicken Pasta at Red Lobster. It was paired with a caesar salad and the cheddar biscuits and is DELICIOUS! For desserts, I used to love the cheesecakes (any kind) at the Cheesecake Factory!
You can reach me at: aimeeleejohnson@gmail.com
By the way, LOVE your new pictures in the below post. You look fabulous!
Best thing I ever ate was the godzilla sushi roll at Ginza Japanese Steakhouse. It comes with eel sauce on top and that is honestly the BEST part. NEVER thought I would say that but we ordered it without usually and once forgot and so we tried it and it was DELICIOUS!!! :D
Sounds like a great idea...good luck to everyone
Hey Alexis,
I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Sunshine Award! Check it out on my blog!!
Post a Comment